The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program and the post-graduate APRN certificate program at Duquesne University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
Influence health care as an executive nurse leader.
Collaboration between professionals is essential for the success of today’s health care systems. Nurses, physicians and other staff must be able to communicate and work together to ensure procedures and daily operations run smoothly.
You became a nurse to help others and provide the best care possible. Now you can provide a different type of care as an executive nurse leader. Choose Duquesne University’s online Executive Nurse Leadership and Health Care Management MSN program and develop the skills you need to effectively manage the business side of health care as a nurse executive.Apply Now
Have you already earned your MSN in a different area of focus but would like to expand your scope of practice in Executive Nurse Leadership?
Duquesne University is proud to offer a Post-Master’s Certificate in Executive Nurse Leadership.Learn More Now
Learn from nurse faculty
who are leaders in advanced
Collaborate with 12-15 students in your cohort
Receive personalized support from a team of advisors – enrollment through graduation
Benefit from available
Why earn your executive nurse leadership degree online?
You’re passionate about taking on leadership roles as a nurse and ready to develop your professional acumen, business and relationship-building skills. Earn your MSN in Executive Nurse Leadership and expand your understanding of how health care systems function from a business perspective and learn how you can make an impact as a nurse executive.
As an executive nurse leader, you will be responsible for staffing and human resources, budgeting and finances, and collaborating with other executives on overall business strategy. You will bridge the gap between business practices, knowledge of the health care and nursing environments, relationship management between your nursing staff and other executives, and advocating for improved patient care in respect to both quality and satisfaction.
Executive nurse leaders can focus on leading innovative health care systems with an eye on technology and promoting complex care services across the lifespan. In an environment of continued discussions on providing affordable care to vulnerable and aging populations, now is an important time to focus on improving budgets without compromising the level of quality care. As a nurse executive, you can help ensure that care for these populations is not only maintained but also improved.
With our 100% online Executive Nurse Leadership and Health Care Management MSN you can:
- Complete coursework online. There are no campus visits required.
- Learn from faculty mentors. You’ll have the contact information for a campus‑based faculty member to help guide your study.
- Leverage a flexible learning environment. Work when and where it is most convenient for you.
- Study at a respected school. Ranked #45 Best Online Graduate Nursing Program by U.S. News & World Report for 2020.
Study nursing leadership with us, and you can learn to:
- Gain in-depth knowledge of nursing and business functions in the health care setting, furthering your knowledge of areas such as finance, human resources and business strategy.
- Strengthen your interpersonal communication skills so you’re prepared to collaborate with other health care professionals and executives to make decisions that will impact efficiency, policy and quality care improvements in your health care system.
- Build strategic skills for effective decision-making, strategy development and implementation using a case study approach.
- Address larger health care issues ethically, bringing a nursing perspective to the executive setting to ensure that nurses have a voice in shaping their work environment.
Executive Nurse Leadership and Health Care Management Courses
30 Credit Hours | 10 Courses
The Executive Nurse Leadership MSN curriculum is built for nurses who are ready to use their nursing experience to drive innovation through leadership roles. In partnership with the Duquesne University Palumbo-Donahue School of Business, we offer courses that focus on both health care and business.
Admissions to the Executive Nursing Leadership MSN Program
To qualify for our online MSN program, you must:
- Hold a current, unencumbered RN license.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree (nursing or non-nursing) from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 GPA or higher. BSN degree preferred.
- Have completed an undergraduate statistics course with a “C” or higher or a graduate statistics course with a “B” or higher.
Note: We prefer at least one year of full-time work experience as an RN prior to registration in the clinical or specialty courses. Strong leadership experience is preferred.
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Professional goal statement
- Official transcript(s)
- Two electronically submitted references (one academic and one professional in a supervisory role)
- The supervisor reference letters must come from a direct supervisor who is responsible for your performance evaluation
- If you have been out of school more than five years, please speak with your Enrollment Advisor for advice
- An interview may be required