The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program and the post-graduate APRN certificate program at Duquesne University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
Help to heal the mind as well as the body.
As a nurse, you understand that sometimes the most serious wounds are ones we can’t see. And you’re committed to caring for not only the physical health of the patients you serve, but also their emotional well-being.
With an online Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Post-Master’s Certificate from Duquesne University, you can enhance your ability to provide compassionate care for people with issues such as mental illness and substance abuse.
This program is designed for working professionals to complete in as few as 2.5 years and can prepare you for the PMHNP-BC certification exam.
Why earn an online PMHNP certificate?
There is a growing need for psychiatric mental-health nurse practitioners, and you can be part of the solution. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration reports that nearly 1 in 5 Americans has a mental health condition. At the same time, 111 million people live in areas where there is a shortage of mental health professionals, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Through this program, you can develop the skills to assess mental health, diagnose conditions and provide primary care services for populations of all ages and backgrounds.
The smart choice — an online PMHNP certificate program:
- Become a certified psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner. Coursework is designed to prepare you for the PMHNP-BC certification exam.
- Complete coursework online. Only two campus visits are required.
- Connect with a personal faculty mentor. From enrollment to graduation, you can reach your expert faculty mentor by phone or email to guide your success.
- Leverage a flexible learning environment. Work when and where it is most convenient for you.
- Join an esteemed institution. We have a distinguished history as a leader in nursing education and are ranked #45 Best Online Graduate Nursing Program by U.S. News & World Report for 2020.
Why choose Duquesne for your PMHNP certificate?
Our online PMHNP program allows you to enhance your career without interrupting it. By earning your certificate, you can position yourself for certification and licensure as a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner who is able to evaluate, diagnose, manage and treat patients who have mental health disorders, both acute and chronic.
What can I learn from Duquesne’s online PMHNP certificate curriculum?
Coursework for this program is designed to help you succeed as a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner. By blending online learning with two residency experiences and 550 clinical hours, you can gain the skills and expertise to more effectively treat populations facing mental health disorders and substance abuse issues.
Online PMHNP Certificate curriculum
35 Credit Hours | 12 Courses
Note: Students are required to complete 550 precepted clinical hours and 50 lab hours. Curriculum is subject to change.
Where can you work as a certified psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner?
- Hospitals, medical centers and acute care facilities
- Specialty psychiatric or substance abuse hospitals
- Private practices
- Community mental health centers
- Primary care offices
- Outpatient care centers
- State and federal facilities
What’s the career outlook for psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioners?
There’s a need for qualified professionals: The American Psychiatric Nurses Association reports that psychiatric-mental health nurses “represent one of the fastest growing, non-physician specialties in health care and currently face incredibly high demand for their services.”
The field is growing: Due in large part to the increasing shortage of health care services, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that there will be a 45% increase in the number of nurse practitioner roles between 2019 and 2029.
It can be rewarding and lucrative: According to the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, full-time PMHNPs have a median total income of $131,500, including base salary, bonuses and incentive payments.
Online PMHNP post-master’s certificate admissions
To qualify for our online PMC programs, you must meet the following prerequisites:
- Hold a BSN and MSN from an accredited college or university
- Hold a current, unencumbered RN license
- Complete a 3-credit undergraduate statistics course with a grade of ”C” or higher or a 3-credit graduate statistics course with a grade of “B” or higher
The faculty admissions committee may look more closely at nursing and science grades when making admissions decisions.
Transfer Credit Policy for PMC CRNP Students
- A maximum of 9 graduate credits, completed within the past 5 years from a previously earned graduate degree, may be transferred.
- A grade of “B” or higher is required.
- The Advanced Standing Request form must be submitted during the admissions process for transfer credits to be considered.
- For a student, who is already certified as a Nurse Practitioner and has prescriptive authority as defined by their state, and is requesting transfer credits greater than 9 credits, an additional detailed request to the Program Chair is required. Requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Professional goal statement
- Official transcript(s)
- Two electronically submitted references (one academic and one professional in a supervisory role)
- The supervisor reference letters must come from a direct supervisor who is responsible for your performance evaluation
- If you have been out of school more than five years, please speak with your Enrollment Advisor for advice