Transform health care through strategy, advocacy and efficiency.
Gain the skills to lead innovative health care systems by collaborating with other health care professionals, analyzing data to make data-driven decisions and promoting complex care services to people across the lifespan.
Choose Duquesne University’s Executive Nurse Leadership and Health Care Management Post-Master’s Certificate and build the skills necessary to adopt a holistic approach to identifying problems, formulating solutions and adapting to change in the health care environment.
Why earn an executive nurse leader certificate?
- You have a desire to lead, support and guide nurses and other health care professionals to provide the best possible care.
- You want to shape health care systems through innovative policies, strategic business practices and ethical management — ensuring nurses have a voice at the executive level.
- You want to gain more expertise in how health care information is managed, analyzed and used to make decisions that affect the larger health care system.
- You have a strong interest in developing your interpersonal relationships and building skills to collaborate with other health care professionals.
The smart choice: an online nurse leadership certificate program.
- Complete coursework online. There are no campus visits required.
- Learn from faculty mentors. You’ll have the name, number and email of a campus‑based faculty member to help guide your study.
- Leverage a flexible learning environment. Work when and where it is most convenient for you.
- Study at a respected school. Ranked #45 Best Online Graduate Nursing Program by U.S. News & World Report for 2020.
What’s the career outlook for executive nurse leaders?
- Careers in health care management are expected to grow 18% between 2018 and 2028, much faster than the national average, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- According to an American Organization for Nursing Leadership (AONL) 2019 salary report, over 90% of respondents earned a salary of $90,000 or more a year.
- The same survey reported that 82% of respondents were either very satisfied or somewhat satisfied with their job.
Why choose Duquesne for your ENL certificate?
As a student pursuing your post-master’s certificate in executive nurse leadership from Duquesne, you will gain an understanding of ways to ethically and strategically address health care concerns while implementing new strategies using a case-study approach.
Throughout your post-master’s certificate curriculum, you will strengthen your understanding of new technologies responsible for improving health care efficiency, and you will be exposed to the business side of the industry, allowing you to bridge the gap between nursing and effective management.
Online Executive Nurse Leadership and Health Care Management Post-Master’s Certificate Curriculum
18 Credit Hours | 6 Courses
Duquesne University’s online Post-Master’s Certificate in Executive Nurse Leadership and Health Care Management offers students a blended curriculum of business and nursing courses. Graduates of this certificate program will be able to bring a nursing perspective to executive settings in health care organizations, hospitals and other agencies, with an understanding of business strategy development and implementation to ensure their organization runs efficiently without compromising patient care.
Executive Nurse Leadership and Health Care Management Post-Master's Certificate
|GPNG 928||Social Justice and Vulnerable Populations||3 Credits|
Vulnerability is examined through the lens of social justice theory, the Catholic social justice tradition and determinants of health. Responses to vulnerability are framed by: characteristics and determinants of vulnerability, direct and indirect actions to limit or reduce vulnerability, and structural and policy level work to address the variables that create and perpetuate vulnerability within persons, across generations and in local and global communities.
|GPNS 956||Nursing Informatics and Data Management||3 Credits|
This course prepares advanced practice nurses in clinical practice and leadership roles as part of interdisciplinary teams that will lead the selection, implementation and optimization of health information systems that support the delivery and maintenance of quality nursing and inter-professional health care, including patient access to essential health information. The course will examine approaches to data management and analytics that are used to evaluate and improve patient care and safety, health care delivery, care management and population health initiatives. The course will explore health information technology innovations and enhancements that support the provision of health care services and clinical practice throughout communities including clinical decision support, data repositories, health information exchanges, telehealth and mobile health and continuum of care management and patient engagement.
|MGMT 619||Budgeting and Finance for Managers||3 Credits|
You will learn about the fundamentals of managing a profit and loss center. You will get a better understanding of financial statements including the balance sheet, income statement and the statement of cash flows. Basic financial concepts like financial ratios, time value of money and capital budgeting will be introduced. The goal of the course is to provide a foundational financial literacy so that managers can make effective decisions within their organizations.
|MGMT 620||Business Strategy||3 Credits|
You will learn theoretical concepts, frameworks, tools, and skills for evaluating the enterprise as a single complete entity. This course challenges you to apply material to develop a holistic business strategy for an organization.
|MGMT 601||The Entrepreneurial Manager||3 Credits|
You will learn how to develop an entrepreneurial mindset and apply entrepreneurship principles in both existing organizations and new ventures. The focus will be on enhancing your skills with respect to identifying and screening new venture opportunities, business planning, acquiring the resources needed to execute your plan and exit strategies.
|MGMT 609||Human Resource Management||3 Credits|
This course explores the strategic role, technical functions, and services provided by an organization’s Personnel/Human Resources department. Among the topics covered are human resource planning, recruiting, selection, performance appraisal, training, compensation, occupational safety and health, employee rights, labor unions, and equal employment opportunity issues.
Online Executive Nurse Leadership Certificate Admissions
- Hold a current, unencumbered RN license.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree (nursing or non-nursing) from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 GPA or higher. BSN preferred.
- Hold an MSN (required) from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Must have completed an undergraduate statistics course with a “C” or higher or a graduate statistics course with a “B” or higher.
Note: Prefer strong leadership experience.
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Professional goal statement
- Two professional references (one academic and one professional in a supervisory role)
- Official transcript(s)
- An interview may be required